I had never eaten sweet potato pie up until last fall when I randomly decided to try it. Boy oh boy, was I missing out! I am so glad I made it, not only because I love it, but also because Thomas loves it and always asks for it!
We had a Thanksgiving dinner at school on Monday, and I brought some sweet potato pie. I got the recipe from All Recipes last year, and I just omitted the nutmeg because I don't care for that spice very much.
One 1 pound sweet potato
1/2 cup of butter (softened)
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust (You could be ambitious and make your own pie crust, but that is a feat I have yet to attempt...store bought for now)
1. Boil the sweet potato for 40-50 minutes (in the skin). Run cold water over it. Once it cools enough for you to touch it, run water over it.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Mash the potato in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and mix the potato and butter together.
4. Stir in the milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon. Put the beater on medium speed and mix until everything is smooth.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees or until you can insert a knife into the middle and it comes out clean.
It's optional, but you can top it with pecans. I just melted some butter in a saucepan, toasted chopped pecans, and added sugar and cinnamon. I didn't use a recipe for that part.
This is the perfect fall or Thanksgiving dessert! Enjoy! :)