1.5 cups grated sweet potatoes
1.5 cups grated white potatoes
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (however the recipe actually calls for dilled Havarti)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Beat egg in a large bowl. Add potatoes, flour, scallions, salt, pepper, and half the cheese. Mix it well.
2. In a large (10-12 inches) skillet that can go in the oven, heat the oil and butter on medium-high heat.
3. Add the potato mixture into the skillet and spread it out evenly. Change the heat to medium low and let it cook until the bottom is lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Do not stir the mixture.
4. While it's cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
5. Put the skillet in the oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden.
6. Add the rest of the cheese on top and bake for about 5 minutes until it's melted.
7. Cut it into wedges and serve it hot. Enjoy! We topped them with fat free sour cream and more scallions. The recipe book recommends eating it with green salad and baked apples.